Deganwy Residents Flock to 2018 Open Day
For most of the day a tall upright man stood with arms folded in a corner of the exhibition room with a relaxed expression on his face. He was Adrian Hughes, organiser of the Deganwy History Group’s 2018 Open Day at Peniel Chapel schoolroom, and what especially pleased him was the steady flow of visitors throughout the day from the moment it opened to the time it closed.
Adrian, ably assisted by fellow members of the History Group, was delighted to see so many visitors taking time to learn more about local history – and in no hurry to leave.
Among the invited guests was Cllr Samantha Cotton, Mayor of Conwy Town Council, who viewed the whole exhibition.
On display were: –
Deganwy in Old Pictures. Over 150 digitised images and old postcards from the History Group archives were played on a television screen throughout the day. Chairs around the screen allowed visitors to sit down with a cuppa and cake to look at the images. Each complete ‘loop’ took 30 minutes to complete.
‘Dead Interesting’ – stories from Llanrhos Cemetery Stories of some of the men and women buried at Llanrhos cemetery including landowners – Lady Augusta Mostyn and her second son, Henry; architects – George Felton and G A Humphries; Major Septimus Tonge and Gunner Daniel Evans – victims of the First World War and William Miller and Patrick Murphy – victims of a terrible accident at Deganwy in 1901.
‘Prisoners of War’ In 1944 the population of Deganwy was swelled by more than 150 men when Germans and Italian Prisoners of War were billeted at Bryn Estyn off Albert Drive. This exhibition told of their lives while in the area and also the memories of local people who knew them.
For anyone unable visit the Open Day, the main exhibits will be on display in the foyer of the Welsh Assembly Government building at Llandudno Junction from 18 January to 1 February 2019.
Web Design North Wales by Indever